Scholarship of Teaching and Learning – Showcase Thursday 16th September, 2pm-4pm

As part of our Festival of Teaching and Learning, the Teaching Track Academic Development Network are delighted to host this online event where members of the track at various career points will share their own personal experiences of exploring teaching and learning and its scholarship and we’ve included plenty of time for questions and discussions on how the community can support you in your own next steps in the scholarship of teaching and learning. The event will be hosted on Teams, to register for the event please visit this link.

Time
14:00Welcome, Sam Nolan, DCAD & Teaching Track Academic Development Network Committee Member
14:05 Developing creative teachers and becoming a creative tutor: Transformative experiences influenced by scholarly activity,  Rachel Simpson, School of Education 

This presentation will consider how my scholarly activity exploring the notion of ‘the creative teacher’ has influenced my practice as a tutor working on Initial Teacher Education programmes in the School of Education.  I will outline briefly the research I have undertaken in this field, including a review of literature, gathering data of students’ perceptions, and designing, implementing and evaluating new teaching input.  The potential benefits to the students will be discussed, challenges and ways forward for the research.  The presentation will also focus on the impact of my research on my own practice as a tutor, as this led me to reflect upon ‘creative teaching’ in the context of Higher Education.  The benefits of developing my own creative teaching competencies will be discussed: what creative teaching skills look like, the importance of the tutor’s attitude and possible ways forward for developing creative teaching approaches in Higher Education.          
14:25Using Microsoft Sway for Asynchronous Lectures, Arin Mizouri, Dept. of Physics

The transition to online learning has been a challenge during the pandemic, with many colleagues using different software and platforms to provide effective e-learning opportunities for our students. This presentation focuses on the “Discovery Skills in Physics” module, a first-year laboratory-based module in Physics. One component of this module is a lecture course on experimental uncertainties, data visualisation, and scientific presentation skills that I delivered using Microsoft Sway, which is optimised for all devices including mobile phones, making them highly accessible, providing equality of opportunity for different learners. Sways also allow the incorporation of a variety of media in one place, making the learning interactive for students. Within each Sway I included recorded videos, text, quizzes, additional YouTube clips, and feedback forms. Students had the option to ask questions about the contents of the lectures in the feedback forms where answers to the questions were then provided on a shared OneNote notebook, which was continuously updated and accessible to the whole class.   
14:45Rip it up and start again: the courage to change one’s mind (and pedagogy), Justine Wolfenden, Dept of Classics and Ancient History

In this talk, I consider the importance of reflective practice for successful (or unsuccessful) pedagogy, and explore a number of ways in which I’ve changed my approach to teaching ancient languages over the last few years. I argue that the willingness to change and the act of changing one’s approach takes courage, and I show how this is especially the case as one becomes more established and experienced as a teacher.
15:10Making space for scholarship, Simon Rees, DCAD 

In this presentation, I will discuss ideas and approaches to make space for scholarship when we already have many different demands on our time.  I will share my own personal experiences and discuss different scenarios and strategies. 
15:30Pathway to SFHEA, Teti Dragas , DCAD

In this short talk, Teti Dragas (PRP Lead, DCAD) will discuss how those with FHEA status can engage with the Professional Development Pathway and work towards SFHEA.
15:40Facilitated Discussions – Next Steps in the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning
16:00Close